Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Second Lesson

     I thought I'd write a little bit about my second lesson and where I'm at with my project before I post Birba's second video. Since I received it, I've watched it several times and have begun practicing the technique he suggested to reduce the tension in my wrists. I enjoy the exercise and often find myself practicing on an imaginary keyboard when I'm standing at the kitchen or sitting here at the computer. It's good exercise!
     Tension seems to be my weakness. I don't recall that my former teacher in Texas ever mentioned it. Perhaps I wasn't tense or as tense nineteen years ago. Perhaps he didn't realize I had that problem. I wonder if the stress in my personal life is showing up in my playing or if I just never learned the right touch and technique. It may be a combination of the two. Am I the only one with a tension problem? Oh, well, the exercises might be helpful for my hypertension!
     So far, I haven't had too much difficulty with the piece. After overcoming the hurdle of playing four notes against three, I breezed through the first page.
     Now, though, it's a bigger challenge. I wonder if I'll be able to get past this next section with the accents on the beat and off beat, especially on the off beat. I'm worried about it. I must get through it or I won't be able to complete this piece.
      I find Birba's video lessons to be entertaining, educating and incredibly stimulating. Challenging, as well. Have you realized that he teaches without any sheet music? That he knows every note of this piece? He can start and stop anywhere. He has complete mastery of the instrument. He is awesome to watch. And I am incredibly fortunate that he is providing me with the guidance I need to learn this piece. I thank him from the bottom of my heart.

No comments: